WEEI Miller Lite “Basketball Shot” Contest Rules
These rules apply to all contests conducted by Entercom Boston, LLC d/b/a WEEI-FM, Entercom Worcester, LLC d/b/a WVEI-AM, Entercom Springfield, LLC d/b/a WWEI-FM and Entercom Providence, LLC d/b/a WVEI-FM and, from time to time, certain radio stations that simulcast WEEI’s programming through New England (collectively, the “Station”), unless otherwise set forth in specific contest rules for a particular contest. In certain cases, particular contests may have their own specific additional or alternative rules (in whole or in part) which will be set forth in a separate addition to these rules or in contest rules specific to a particular contest and will be available at the Station studios at 20 Guest Street, 3rd Floor, Brighton, MA 02135; 150 Chestnut Street, Providence, RI 02903; and 1 Financial Plaza, 1350 Main Street, Suite 1206, Springfield, MA 01103.
How to Enter/How to Win
1. No purchase or payment of any kind is necessary to enter or win this sweepstakes.
2. Must be 21 or over at time of entry.
3. May not be a current or former professional or semi-professional basketball player.
4. May not be a current or former high school or collegiate basketball player who has competed at that level within the past six (6) years.
5. May not be a current basketball coach who is coaching at the high school level or higher.
6. Previous winners of this contest or similar contests (as determined in Station’s sole discretion) are not eligible to enter or win.
6. Maximum of one qualifier spot per person, regardless of how many times a person enters.
7. Initial entry into this contest will occur during four (4) live events (each, a “Qualifying Event” and collectively the “Qualifying Events”) conducted by the Station at various locations in the greater Boston area between November 9, 2012 and December 8, 2012. Listeners will be invited to attend live Station appearances at the following locations at the following dates and times:
(a) North Star – 222 Friend St, Boston, MA 02114 on 11/9/12 from 5:30pm-7:30pm
(b) The Greatest Bar – 262 Friend St, Boston, MA 02114 on 11/23/12 from 5:30pm-7:30pm
(c) Sullivan’s Tap – 168 Causeway Street, Boston, MA 02114 – on 11/30/12 from 5:30pm-7:30pm (date, time, and location of this Event will be announced on-air and online a minimum of two (2) days in advance the Event).
(d) Hurricane O’Reilly’s - 150 Canal Street, Boston, MA 02114 – on 12/8/12 from 5:30p-7:30p. Event will be announced on-air and online a minimum of two (2) days in advance the Event).
8. Qualifying Events. During the contesting hours at each Event, attendees will have the opportunity to participate on a first-come-first-served basis. Interested entrant must register with a Station representative and sign required forms (including a liability release agreement) between 30 minutes prior to the start time of the Qualifying Event and ending at the start time of each Qualifying Event. Registration does not guarantee that an entrant will be given an opportunity to participate Each entrant will participate on a first come first served basis based on the order of registration and if time does not permit a registrant to participate, he/she will not be entitled to participate at that Qualifying Event nor at any other Qualifying Event (although he/she may register to for a chance to perform at a subsequent Qualifying Event). Each Qualifying Event shall end at the times approximately listed above (as determined in Station’s sole discretion) and no other registrants/entrants shall have an opportunity to participate after that time, unless a registrant is in the middle of his/her qualifying attempt. Starting at 5:30pm at each Qualifying Event, timely registered entrants may line up in order to attempt to get as many mini basketballs into a mini basketball net (a “Pop-aShot”) as they can within 60 seconds. At the end of each Qualifying Event, the person who got the most balls within the basket during any one 60 second attempt will be designated a qualifier in this contest. In the event of a tie, the Station will conduct a play-off round (or rounds, if needed) between the tied participants (using the same 60 second rule) until there remains only one qualifier for that Qualifying Event. In order to be a qualifier, all entrants must comply with the following:
a. All participants hereby agree to strictly follow all instructions and directions given by the Station staff at the Qualifying Event and understand that any intentional failure to comply with the contest rules or procedures or instructions given by Station staff at the Qualifying Event may result in immediate disqualification, in such Station staff’s sole discretion.
b. No participant may commence shooting baskets until instructed to do so by the Station staff.
c. Any contestant who could potentially be a qualifier must remain at the Qualifying Event until the end of the contest in order to become a recognized qualifier (subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with these Contest rules). In the Qualifying Event that the person who had the most shots at a particular Qualifying Event is not present at the end of the Qualifying Event to present himself/herself to the Station staff, the qualifier will be deemed to be the person who had the most shots at the Qualifying Event and is present at the end of the Qualifying Event will become the qualifier (subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with these Contest rules).
9. Semi-Final Event. All qualifiers from the Qualifying Events must be present at the location designated by Station – The Harp - 85 Causeway Street Boston, MA 02114- (and communicated to all Qualifiers at least 48 hours in advance), on 12/21/12 by 6:30pm in order to continue to participate in this contest (the “Semi-Final Event”). Failure of any qualifier to check-in with Station staff and complete all required paperwork (which will include, without limitation, the return of a liability release agreement to Station that was presented to the qualifier at the end of one of the above Events) before the start of the Semi-Final round of play (which will commence at any time between 6:30pm and 7pm as determined by Station at the Semi-Final Event) will result in automatic disqualification. All qualifiers who check-in in a timely manner at the Semi-Final Event will be entitled to one pair of tickets to that evenings Boston Celtics game and a chance to continue to compete in this contest as follows (subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with the contest rules):
• At the commencement of the Semi-Final Event, all timely qualifiers will participate in an initial round of Pop-a-Shot (as described above). The two qualifiers who get the most shots in within 60 seconds will go on to a final round (subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with the Contest rules) (the “Semi-Finalists”). In the event of a tie, the Station will conduct a play-off round (or rounds, if needed) between the tied participants (using the same 60 second rule) until there remains only two top Semi-Finalists.
• The two Semi-Finalists shall then participate in a final round of Pop-a-Shot. The one Semi-Finalist who gets the most shots within 60 seconds will be the Finalist in this contest and be entitled to continue participation in the Grand Prize Event (as defined below). In the event of a tie, the Station will conduct a play-off round (or rounds, if needed) between the Semi-Finalists (using the same 60 second rule) until there remains only one Finalist.
All qualifiers participating in the Semi-Final Event must comply with the following:
a. All qualifiers hereby agree to strictly follow all instructions and directions given by the Station staff at the Semi-Final Event and understand that any intentional failure to comply with the contest rules or procedures or instructions given by Station staff at the Semi-Final Event may result in immediate disqualification, in such Station staff’s sole discretion.
b. No qualifier may commence shooting baskets until instructed to do so by the Station staff.
c. Failure of a qualifier to check in at the Semi-Finalist Event on time will result in automatically disqualification from further participation in this contest and such qualifier shall not be entitled to any prize or to continue further in this contest.
10. In the event that Station becomes aware at any time during this contest that a qualifier/Semi-Finalist/Finalist is ineligible to participate in this contest pursuant to the requirements set forth in these contest rules, such qualifier/Semi-Finalist/Finalist will be disqualified and no alternate qualifier, Semi-Finalist or Finalist will be selected in his/her place.
11. By entering this contest, all Participants acknowledge that such participation may be potentially hazardous, and hereby represent that he/she is physically, psychologically and medically able to participate in this activity. Participants assume all risks associated with participation in this contest. Participants also expressly consent to any physical contact that might naturally result from participation in this contest.
12. No deal-making among participants is permitted and Station reserves the right to disqualify any participant, qualifier or winner suspected in engaging any such activity. Station and Sponsors are not responsible for any agreements made by winners or contestants, verbal or written, to others due to winning the stated prize(s).
13. Decisions of Station judges with respect to each Pop-a-Shot competition (including, without limitation, the number of qualified shots in the basket) and all other matters related to this contest are final.
14. Participation is non-transferable. Each contestant (including, without limitation, qualifiers, Semi-Finalists and the Finalist) must attempt the contest on their own behalf in each applicable round in which they participate.
15. Grand Prize Event. The Finalist must be present at the Boston Celtics game at the TD BankNorth Garden in Boston on 12/21/12 at the specific time and location within the stadium as communicated by the Station staff to the Finalist at the end of the Semi-Final Event (“Grand Prize Event”). Failure of the Finalist to be where and when instructed will result in automatic disqualification of the Finalist and no alternative Finalist will be selected. In order to be eligible to participate in the Grand Prize Event, the Finalist must be able and willing to attend the 12/21/12 Boston Celtics game and participate in the grand prize Basketball Shot contest on the court when instructed to do so by Station staff.
16. Difficulties with getting to the Grand Prize Event to participate in the contest are not the responsibility of Sponsors. Contest administrator in its sole discretion, reserves the right to select an alternate Finalist to replace a disqualified Finalist from those Semi-Finalists present at the Grand Prize Event.
17. Station reserves the right in its sole discretion to change the date, time or location of the Final Event by notifying the Finalist.
18. In order to claim the grand prize, the Finalist will be required to successfully complete the Station designated ‘Basketball Shot’ on the court during the Final Event. The following criteria will apply for the eligible grand prize shot attempt:
a. Affidavit of Eligibility: The designated Finalist must print and sign their full name on the official affidavit of eligibility prior to their shot attempt;
b. Maximum (1) attempt: The Finalist may only have one attempt at the designated shot;
c. No Practice: The Finalist may not attempt any practice or warm-up basketball shots in any manner prior to their contest attempt at the Grand Prize Event.
d. Demarcation Line: The eligible Finalist must initiate their contest attempt from behind the NBA half court line (a minimum distance of 44 feet in distance from the basket, but the exact distance shall be determined by Station in its sole discretion). The shot must be initiated from behind the designated demarcation line. The demarcation line will be clearly marked on the floor;
e. The shot attempt must be initiated from the designated area on the floor of the court as specified by the Station;
f. The Finalist must use the standard NBA basketball provided by Station;
g. Foot Fault: A foot fault (contestant’s foot touching or crossing over the demarcation line before releasing the ball) will disqualify any attempt. The Finalist will not be allowed another attempt for any reason;
h. Once the shot is released, the ball may not come in contact with any surface or object (floor, ceiling, person, etc), except the backboard or rim prior to passing through the hoop.
i. Successful Shot Attempt: In order to be eligible to claim the grand prize, the shot must meet all criteria as a regulation basket according to all NBA rules.
20. If the Finalist achieves a Successful Shot Attempt at the Grand Prize Event and is otherwise fully in compliance with these contest rules, he/she will win the grand prize, subject to verification of eligibility.
21. Grand prize winner, if any, will be required to sign one or more affidavits and/or liability release agreements “as is” and W-9 documents before the prize is awarded. Failure to do so for any reason within four (4) business days of the Final Event will result in automatic forfeiture of any prize in this contest and disqualification of such potential grand prize winner.
22. Notarized affidavits and recorded statements may be required from the client’s contest administrator and contestant to verify compliance with all material contract terms and conditions.
22. In the event that the Grand Prize Winner is disqualified for any reason (including failure to meet the designated eligibility requirements), at any time, the grand prize will not be re-awarded.
23. By participating in this contest, all participants and the Finalist acknowledges and agree that Station may set up one or more video cameras at the Events and/or Final Event and that Station will own all rights to such video and may use it in any way Station deems desirable, both during and after this contest, including, without limitation, the broadcast of such video on the internet, on television and/or on radio. Participants hereby waive any claim for compensation for any such use or any claim of a violation of their right of privacy, and understand that the Sponsors have the right of use of Participants name, likeness, voice, biographical and other information.
24. IF THE SCHEDULED CELTICS BASKETBALL GAME ON 12/21/12 IS CANCELLED (PRIOR TO OR AFTER THE COMMENCEMENT OF PLAY BUT BEFORE THE FINAL EVENT BEGINS) FOR ANY REASON, THE FINAL EVENT WILL BE RESCHEDULED. Station and Sponsor are not responsible for replacing or reimbursing entrants/qualifiers/Semi-Finalist/Finalist with any form of compensation for events that are canceled, postponed, rescheduled or delayed. All cancellations are deemed beyond the control of Station and Sponsor. This includes, but is not limited to, the cancellation of any games, events, delays of any form and duration, as well as all delays, postponements or cancellations due to acts of nature, terrorism (including threats), illness or war. Additionally, Station and Sponsor are not responsible for any expenses incurred by contest participants as a result of such cancellations or delays.
25. Up to four (4) verified qualifiers in this contest will a pair of tickets to the Boston Celtics game on December 21, 2012 (approximate value of $200 per pair) and the opportunity to continue to participate in the Semi-Final Event.
26. There will be up to one grand prize winner in this contest (if at all). If any, the grand prize winner (upon satisfaction of the requirements of these contest rules and subject to verification of eligibility) will receive $50,000. Grand prize will be paid by company check and will be delivered to the verified grand prize winner within 8 weeks of winning. Grand Prize is non-transferable. No family member or other person may accept the prize on behalf of the Grand Prize Winner. IF GRAND PRIZE IS NOT PICKED UP BY WINNER (INCLUDING GRAND PRIZE WINNER) WITHIN 60 DAYS AFTER NOTIFICATION THAT THE PRIZE IS AVAILABLE FOR PICK-UP THEN GRAND PRIZEPRIZE WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY RESCINDED AND THE GRAND PRIZE WINNER WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. Winner shall not be entitled to any prize in this contest is Station determines that winner is not fully in compliance with these contest rules.
27. Winners shall be solely responsible for payment of all federal, state and local taxes. Winners may be required to complete all relevant documents including a W-9 Form prior to receipt of any prize. Prizes will be released to winner only. Winners may receive an IRS Form 1099 and such prize may be reported to the Internal Revenue Service for the 2012 tax year for the total cash value of the Prize.
28. Sponsors are not responsible for prize information or documents, which are lost or mis-delivered by the postal service or carrier.
29. The grand prize winner, if any, may be required to show picture identification to claim the prize and to evidence proof of age, identification, and/or residency. Station reserves the right to require and examine additional identification and may choose to accept or deny awarding the prize based on the identification presented.
30. There will be no substitutions or cash alternatives for prizes except at the sole discretion of Sponsors. Sponsors maintain the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. No transfer or assignment of the prize is allowed.
31. This contest is a game of skill.
32. The sponsors of this contest are: Entercom Boston, LLC and Miller Lite
Other Rules Specific to This Contest
33. Employees of Miller Lite (“Sponsor”), Million Dollar Media, LLC (“Administrator”), participating radio stations (WEEI), participating on-premise accounts, or any other sponsors participating in this contest or contest location, and their respective affiliated companies, advertising or promotional agencies (collectively “Release Parties”) and the immediate family and household members of each are ineligible to participate in this contest (i.e., spouses, parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren, co-habitating partners, roommates, and siblings).
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT IT HAS COME TO OUR ATTENTION THAT THE NCAA MAY HAVE A RULE IN PLACE THAT WOULD PROHIBIT THE WINNER OF THIS CONTEST (IF ANY) FROM PLAYING COLLEGIATE BASKETBALL NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. IT IS EACH ENTRANT’S RESPONSIBILITY TO INVESTIGATE AND FULLY INFORM THEMSELVES OF THE PERSONAL CONSEQUENCES OF WINNING THIS CONTEST.