As Ryan Hannable mentioned earlier on It Is What It Is, Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan and his new defensive assistant/brother Rob gave an interview to Jenny Vrentas of MMQB. And if you were thinking that maybe Rex’s inability to win anything or Rob’s years of abysmal, historic failure as the coordinator for the Saints has humbled him any or convinced them to shut their cake holes, you’re obviously not familiar with how the Ryans operate. Neither is capable of putting a sock in it, and no amount of awfulness can convince them they are not the best coaches in the business.
Among the highlights:
- Rob, on being in the same division as Bill Belichick: “He’s not going to be able to watch us coach for much longer, I don’t think. But hopefully he can see this one, because we have got big plans. Bring Belichick on. We got him.”
- Rob, on facing the Patriots: “I know one thing, we are going to beat them. We are together, we’re going to beat the best.”
- On the league-worst defense Rob was in charge of in New Orleans: “[A]t the end of the day, the last two years in New Orleans were a waste of time for me. … I need to be in a multiple system. I was hired to be in a multiple system in New Orleans, and I did a damn good job and got fired for it.”
- Rex, talking tough: “Well, we never lost a fight in our life. Ever. And we ain’t losing this one. And that’s a true statement. Not just because we are badasses — because we are, individually — but collectively, it’s a lot different. To this day, no man is going to whip me. Why? Because I’ve got my brother with me.”
- Rob, taking personal responsibility: “I am not going to sit on my hands, like I did in New Orleans. The biggest mistake I think I made in New Orleans was sitting on my hands and collecting a paycheck, instead of going in, knowing it was wrong and fixing it.”
- Rob, on his future: “I did the best job I could. I’ll be better anywhere else. (Pause). I’ll be great anywhere else.”
- Rex, on Rob’s coaching tree: “Rob is under Bill Belichick. Well, Bill Belichick, this just in, pretty damn good football coach.”
- Rob on Rob: “I am great.”
So in summary, the Ryans are great. None of their failings are their own. They’re the best coaches in the world, not to mention the biggest badasses. Swagger, brag, yap, bombast, yadda yadda, no man can defeat me, trash talk, blah bitty blah blah.
Oh, and as always, Bill Belichick is living so deep inside their heads that he ought to be paying a fricking mortgage. And this year we get the added fun of seeing two Ryans eliminated from the playoffs by Thanksgiving.
Baseball is in full swing and you can be a part of the action all season long at DraftKings! Play for FREE in the $10K fantasy baseball contest TODAY with your first deposit. Just draft two pitchers and eight position players, stay under the salary cap and outscore the competition to turn your love of baseball into CASH! To draft your team today, CLICK HERE.