Dennis Seidenberg‘s first goal of the season was a huge one, as the veteran blue liner took a feed from Zdeno Chara following a Patrice Bergeron faceoff win with just over a minute to play and blasted a one-timer past Robin Lehner to break a late tie and give the Bruins a 2-1 lead over the Senators Thursday night in Ottawa.
The win snapped a two-game losing streak for the Bruins and improved them to 20-6-3 on the season. The B’s got the win on a night in which Claude Julien made Rich Peverley a healthy scratch, keeping Ryan Spooner in the lineup as David Krejci made his return from a knee injury.
The Senators got on the board when Kaspars Daugavins fired a wrist shot past Anton Khudobin early in the second period. After a sloppy showing throughout the second period for the B’s, Daniel Paille beat Lehner with a wrister with 1:22 remaining in the second to tie the game.
The Bruins will play the first game of a home-and-home with the Maple Leafs by wrapping up their four-game road trip Saturday night in Toronto.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Julien treated the Merlot line as his third line Thursday night, and it paid off with Paille’s goal. The Paille-Gregory Campbell- Shawn Thornton line got got more shifts and ice time than the trio of Spooner between Jay Pandolfo and Jordan Caron, with Campbell playing 15:33 to Spooner’s 8:17.
- Khudobin came through for the B’s in the final 30 seconds of the first period, making big stops with the Senators buzzing in the offensive zone against the Spooner line. The backup netminder came up with stops on Kyle Turris, Jakob Silfverberg and Patrick Wiercioch in what was a frantic end to the first period.
- Paille’s strong offensive season continues, as his six goals put his total through 69 games last season (nine) easily within reach. Paille’s career-high for goals is 19, which he got with the Sabres in the 2007-08 season. His best total as a Bruin is 10 in 2009-10.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- The B’s were sloppy, sloppy, sloppy from an offensive standpoint in the second period. Krejci’s line blew a 3-on-1 when Milan Lucic made an extra pass to Nathan Horton and failed to connect. Later in the second, the B’s were on an odd-man rush and Lucic passed to Tyler Seguin, who had turned back to go for a line change.
- Speaking of line changes, Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron were getting off as the Senators went the other way on the rush on which Daugavins gave the Senators the 1-0 lead.
- The Bruins went without a shot on goal in both of their power plays, as the B’s made it three straight games without a power-play goal (0-for-8). Julien tweaked the units for the first power play, putting Seguin on the second unit and replacing him on the top unit with Spooner. Dougie Hamilton was also moved to the second unit, with Seidenberg taking his place on the point on the first unit.
Patriots DB Duron Harmon joined Glenn, Lou, and Christian, and he discussed the team needing to come together after losing Gronk, and the turnovers in the Jets game can propel them to create more turnovers.
We check in with former Patriot Heath Evans, now with the NFL Network, for his complete analysis on the win over the Jets in NY.
Dale and Michael talk with Patrick Chung after a win over the Jets on Sunday.
WEEI.com's Mike Petraglia and Ben Kichen of the 'Dale and Holley Show' talk about what the Celtics will need to do in order to be considered one of the top teams in the Eastern Conference along with the Cavs.
WEEI's Mike Petraglia talks with Josue Pavon about how the Celtics are looking better with Al Horford back on the court and the overall toughness of this team.
Mike Petraglia and Ben Kichen preview the Celtics season. Will Jaylen Brown be an impact rookie and prove he was the right pick at #3? Will the Celtics win the Atlantic Division? Is the season a failure if the Celtics don't advance past the first round of the playoffs?
Mut, Bradford, and Tomase talk with Curt Schilling to get his reaction to Dan Shaughnessy and Jon Heyman's comments about not voting for Curt for the Hall of Fame again based on some of Schilling's comments on social media.
Mut, Bradford, and Tomase are taking some calls and reaction to their interview with Curt Schilling in regards to Major League Baseball's Hall of Fame voting. We also hear about Rob's upcoming working vacation to the Dominican Republic for the David Ortiz Charity Golf Classic.
Mut, Bradford, and Tomase are talking about Dan Shaughnessy's column about how he would no longer vote for Curt Schilling for the Hall of Fame. They then talk with Curt Schilling getting his thoughts on the whole situation and whether he would rather make the HoF or the Senate.
Ken Laird and Ty Anderson chat Bruins after a 2-1 win in Florida improved the team's record to 5-4.
Ken Laird chats with WEEI Bruins writer Ty Anderson about the B's loss to the Rangers on Wednesday night and what issues the team is fighting after a 3-4 start to the season
Ken Laird and new WEEI.com Bruins writer Ty Anderson discuss the state of the 2016 Bruins after a 3-3 start to the season.
Damien Woody joined K&C and shared a story regarding a conversation he had with Bill Belichick in the training room in Foxboro.
In the 9 am hour Gerry and Kirk mocked the Belichick press conference and took a call from Jim the Wrestling Goon who is not a fan of Amani Toomer.
In the 8 am hour Gerry and Kirk talked about a brutal answer by Dan Shaughnessy regarding Bill Conlin'sn spot in the Hall of Fame.
Glenn, Lou, and Christian are less than surprised that Bill Belichick won't comment further about Gronk than the released statement. Speaking of statements, how weird is it that the Gronkowski family is releasing joint statements with the Patriots?
Orthopedic surgeon to the pros, Dr. Thomas Gill of Steward Health Care joins Glenn, Lou, and Christian in the wake of Gronk's back injury. He talks about different types of disc injuries, and one type of fusion which could potentially prevent Gronk from playing football. He also commented on the unique situation of a joint statement between the Patriots and the Gronkowskis, and clarified his role in Gronk's arm surgeries.
Glenn, Lou, and Christian wonder how the man who shot former NFL RB Joe McKnight can be free of charges and walking around the streets of New Orleans.
Dale and Michael check in with the playmaker Michael Irvin on a Friday.
We open it up in the final portions of hours 3 and 4 on a Friday.
Hour two in it's entirety.
Kirk Minihane, WEEI Podcast King, talks to the Podcast Godfather Adam Carolla about his new documentary about Le Mans, the backlash from the Election, and his time with Donald Trump on the Apprentice. The audio quality isn't great but the conversation is.
Kirk Minihane is a non-believer, Larry Johnson is a preacher, when Larry found Kirk doesn't believe in God he challenged Kirk to allow him on to the podcast to talk about religion and faith. Kirk and Larry have a tremendous conversation about God and Larry tries to convert Kirk into a believer.
Kirk Minihane sits down with Barstool Sports contributor and podcast host John Feitelberg. Kirk and Feitelberg talk about the rise of barstool, the sale of the website, what it is like to work for Dave Portnoy, and their live podcast shows at the Wilbur Theater.
Ben, Alex, and Russ talk about how Toronto winning the MLS cup will be best for the league, the FIFA Player of the Year award, and the tragedy in Brazil.
Ken Laird and Chris Curtis finish out the week recapping the Friday edition of Kirk and Callahan, with critiques of Dale & Holley's Keefe announcement and more.
Kirk & Callahan producers Ken Laird and Chris Curtis are back together after a few days apart to dish about all things K&C show, this after a Thursday Reim-Job.
Gerry Callahan and Kirk Minihane launch the 'new' official podcast of the Kirk & Callahan Show, where they'll bring the edge and the inside info they can't get to on their morning radio show. In the debut episode, the guys give a state of the current K&C 'Casting Couch' and the latest on former fill-in host Gary Tanguay.More from this show
In the 7 am hour Gerry and Kirk discussed the hiring of Rich Keefe and the announcement yesterday on Dale and Holley.More from this show
In the 9 am hour Gerry and Kirk mocked the Belichick press conference and took a call from Jim the Wrestling Goon who is not a fan of Amani Toomer.More from this show
The worst kept secret in the city is now official - welcome aboard Rich Keefe.More from this show