Dennis Seidenberg‘s first goal of the season was a huge one, as the veteran blue liner took a feed from Zdeno Chara following a Patrice Bergeron faceoff win with just over a minute to play and blasted a one-timer past Robin Lehner to break a late tie and give the Bruins a 2-1 lead over the Senators Thursday night in Ottawa.
The win snapped a two-game losing streak for the Bruins and improved them to 20-6-3 on the season. The B’s got the win on a night in which Claude Julien made Rich Peverley a healthy scratch, keeping Ryan Spooner in the lineup as David Krejci made his return from a knee injury.
The Senators got on the board when Kaspars Daugavins fired a wrist shot past Anton Khudobin early in the second period. After a sloppy showing throughout the second period for the B’s, Daniel Paille beat Lehner with a wrister with 1:22 remaining in the second to tie the game.
The Bruins will play the first game of a home-and-home with the Maple Leafs by wrapping up their four-game road trip Saturday night in Toronto.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Julien treated the Merlot line as his third line Thursday night, and it paid off with Paille’s goal. The Paille-Gregory Campbell- Shawn Thornton line got got more shifts and ice time than the trio of Spooner between Jay Pandolfo and Jordan Caron, with Campbell playing 15:33 to Spooner’s 8:17.
- Khudobin came through for the B’s in the final 30 seconds of the first period, making big stops with the Senators buzzing in the offensive zone against the Spooner line. The backup netminder came up with stops on Kyle Turris, Jakob Silfverberg and Patrick Wiercioch in what was a frantic end to the first period.
- Paille’s strong offensive season continues, as his six goals put his total through 69 games last season (nine) easily within reach. Paille’s career-high for goals is 19, which he got with the Sabres in the 2007-08 season. His best total as a Bruin is 10 in 2009-10.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- The B’s were sloppy, sloppy, sloppy from an offensive standpoint in the second period. Krejci’s line blew a 3-on-1 when Milan Lucic made an extra pass to Nathan Horton and failed to connect. Later in the second, the B’s were on an odd-man rush and Lucic passed to Tyler Seguin, who had turned back to go for a line change.
- Speaking of line changes, Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron were getting off as the Senators went the other way on the rush on which Daugavins gave the Senators the 1-0 lead.
- The Bruins went without a shot on goal in both of their power plays, as the B’s made it three straight games without a power-play goal (0-for-8). Julien tweaked the units for the first power play, putting Seguin on the second unit and replacing him on the top unit with Spooner. Dougie Hamilton was also moved to the second unit, with Seidenberg taking his place on the point on the first unit.
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — WEEI.com’s Mike Petraglia and Chris Price explain how the Patriots held off the Jets, 17-16, Sunday at MetLife Stadium to improve to 12-3 and lock up a first-round bye in the AFC playoffs.
Greg and Steve give their final thoughts and predictions for what is about to go down at MetLife Stadium today.
Curran calls the guys to discuss the game today and gets into the effect of having no Edelman. He talks about Amendola's role, the Pats running game and more.
Jackie MacMullen, ESPN Boston, talks with MFB about Rondo being traded to the Dallas Mavericks, and how this will have an effect on the Celtics rebuild process
How have the Celtics looked after a couple weeks? Could they be a playoff team? These questions and more...
Sam and Ben talk with Greg Dickerson about how fun this year's Celtics team is to watch as well Jeff Green trade ideas.
Mut, Rob, and Alex talk with former Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester. Jon talks about his experiences with free agency, what it would have taken to sign him to the Red Sox last season, and his experiences with fans since signing with the Cubs.
Mut, Rob, and Alex talk with newly signed Red Sox pitcher, Wade Miley. They talk about the story that came out about the D-Backs wanting him to switch to a gluten-free diet, and what he expects coming from the N.L. West to the A.L. East.
The boys are back at it, Mut, Rob, and Alex talk with former Red Sox pitcher and new Chicago Cub Jon Lester, they then talk with new Red Sox pitcher and ongoing consumer of gluten, Wade Miley.
Pierre joins the show to talk about the Bruins-Wild game, Bruins trade rumors, and the rest of the NHL.
Jack Edwards talks with Dale, Michael and Jerry Thornton and drops the bomb on us that based on how the standings look now, the Bruins could miss the playoffs this season.
Pierre joins the guys to talk about the Bruins and all things NHL
Curtis spoke with some nut jobs outside the courtroom.
The top stories of the day as recounted by Kirk Minihane.
Jeff Goodman discussed the Rondo trade.
Christian quizzes Lou and Tim on which songs were used for torture by the CIA, and Tim is upset he couldn't remember Team America: World Police
Adam Schefter, ESPN, joins MFB to discuss Jim Harbaugh rumors, Rex Ryan's future, and why the Patriots may be better served by not wraping up the number one seed in the AFC this week
Christian shares what he believes will be the three keys to this Sunday's game against the New York Jets
We check in with the playmaker, the hall of famer Michael Irvin for a look at the NFL and all things Patriots as they prepare to face the Jets.
Dale and Michael discuss the trade of Rajon Rondo, and whether it ultimately was a good deal for the Celtics.
We break down Rex and the Jets vs the Patriots with CSNNE's Tom E Curran
Kay comes into the show to try out for the textress role on the program. We learn about her favorite sports and fondness for Rajon Rondo.
Mikey, Mut, Lenny and Kerry Byrne are taling Patriots-Jets and the potential end of Rex Ryan's coaching career with the team.
Tonight marks 9 straight years of the Planet Mikey Show. We play some sound from the takeover which got Planet Mikey rolling .
Jen Royle joins the show to talk about The Taste and what its like working with amazing chefs and how her personality is going over with viewers.
What should Danny Ainge do with these Celtics? Is Anthony Davis the second best player in the NBA? Are the Warriors truly contenders?
Ryan Lambert of Puck Daddy joins DJ to discuss the "uncoachable(?)" Taylor Hall and revisit the Tyler Seguin trade. Ryan also shares his issues with how the Bruins are run.
We check in with the playmaker, the hall of famer Michael Irvin for a look at the NFL and all things Patriots as they prepare to face the Jets.More from this show
Twas the Saturday before Christmas, Rooke and Scott Cordischi in the house taking your calls, texts tweets and emails (not so much). Listeners sound off on the week's best topics. An annual RI DIV I Tourney, Mr Rondo goes to Dallas and celebrating the plethora of Christmas tunesMore from this show