1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table knows nothing of the Holiday spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave immediately. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.
2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly. It's rare.. You cannot find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-alcoholic or something. It's a treat. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have two. It's later than you think. It's Christmas!
3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point of gravy. Gravy does not stand alone. Pour it on. Make a volcano out of your mashed potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat.
4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim milk or whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a sports car with an automatic transmission.
5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your eating. The whole point of going to a Holiday party is to eat other people's food for free. Lots of it. Hello?
6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New Year's. You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do. This is the time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet table while carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of eggnog.
7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table, like frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa, position yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of attention. They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If you leave them behind, you're never going to see them again.
8. Same for pies. Apple, Pumpkin, Mincemeat. Have a slice of each. Or if you don't like mincemeat, have two apples and one pumpkin. Always have three. When else do you get to have more than one dessert? Labor Day?
9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory celebratory calories, but avoid it at all cost. I mean, have some standards.
10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the party or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention. Re-read tips; start over, but hurry, January is just around the corner. Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" Have a great holiday season!!
Monday - We are live from Fort Myers! We'll talk Red Sox spring training, Celtics rumors and more.
Tuesday - John Farrell joins us live in Fort Myers. We'll ask him about our criticism of him. Text the show at 37937.
Wednesday - New Red Sox ace Chris Sale joins us live in Fort Myers. Give the show a call at 617-779-7937.
Thursday - Andrew Benintendi joins us at 7:45 live from Fort Myers and Dave Dombrowski is on at 8:30.
Friday - The Celtics did... absolutely nothing. We'll react. We'll also talk to Dave O'Brien live from Fort Myers.
|Gerry Callahan @GerryCallahan | 7 hours 20 min ago | RT @PatriotsSB49: Who else thought this was Trenni and @Gary_Tanguay before reading the text? @kirkmin @GerryCallahan https://t.co/Hqpcpfm0rj|
|Gerry Callahan @GerryCallahan | 9 hours 43 min ago | Go get him, Keyshawn https://t.co/e9oZkPMjvI|
|Gerry Callahan @GerryCallahan | 9 hours 59 min ago | RT @kirkmin: Part II with @GlennDOrdway is maybe the best one yet. Gets ugly and personal pretty fast. https://t.co/KDvWGZRwWs https://t.co/wYufpRmyAR|
|Gerry Callahan @GerryCallahan | 11 hours 24 min ago | Just finished A Man Called Ove and I'm crying like Chuck Shumer. Thank God I'm alone in my hotel room #whatapuss|