FORT MYERS, Fla. — Clay Buchholz told WEEI.com on Monday morning that it is looking increasingly likely that he will sign a one-year deal with the Red Sox. With March 8 looming as the unofficial deadline for contracts of unsigned players to be renewed, Buchholz was asked if there had been discussions with the Red Sox regarding a contract extension.
"I think we've talked a little bit about it but there's nothing," said Buchholz, who will be arbitration eligible for the first time after the 2011 season. "My agent thinks we're probably looking at a one-year thing this year. Nothing going on that I know of."
Buchholz -- who had a breakout season in 2010 with 17 wins and a 2.33 ERA -- isn't concerned about having to wait for a long-term deal.
"No. Every player goes through it," said Buchholz. "Some players get signed, some sign an extension before they are arbitration eligible. I'm not worried about it by any means. Just play this year and go from there."
For more Red Sox news visit weei.com/redsox .