Red Sox Manager Terry Francona spoke to the media before Tuesday night's game against the Chicago White Sox. Here are some highlights from that meeting on the day that the Red Sox acquired Billy Wagner from the New York Mets (who will be in Boston on Thursday):
On Billy Wagner coming to Boston:
- "I think we're excited."
- "We're going to use some very good judgment in how we use him."
- "This is not a guy that we will lean on."
- "I think it's a great addition to our bullpen."
- "It should really help us" (monitor Okajima's usage)
- "No back-to-back outings."
- "I don't think he would have waved his no trade if he didn't want to come."
- "Looks to be throwing mid-90s."
- "It affected Gagne (to set up). There's no getting around that."
- "Right now, our bullpen's pretty good."
- "We're just trying to supplement our bullpen."
Fracona also talked about Daisuke Matsuzaka's rehab progress:
- Dice-K will throw a side on Wednesday and then have a strength test.