Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz said Monday that he knew the team was going to give him the multi-year deal he had been seeking when his last contract expired. Ortiz said the front office communicated well with him this season, making him "more confident walking into the offseason knowing that I was going to be back."
"I don't think there was any doubt," Ortiz said when asked about getting two years. "They approached me pretty well. Our negotiations this year were easier than ever. They knew what they were looking for. … It wasn't even a going back and forth type of situation. It was pretty much 'this is it' and I agreed with it."
Ortiz also said that the right achilles tendon injury that kept him out through the end of last season is doing better.
"It's good," he said. "I'm moving forward pretty good. I already started doing leg exercises and stuff, and I'm feeling good."
For more on the Red Sox, visit weei.com/redsox .