Red Sox Manager Terry Francona had the following to say before the Red Sox and Yankees conclude their three game series at Fenway Park on Thursday night:
- Jacoby Ellsbury will take batting practice today, and hopes to play tomorrow. There is a slight chance that he may be available off the bench on Thursday night.
- Jed Lowrie: This is subject to change, but the shortstup will go to Philly, then to Lowell on Monday and Tuesday. Lowrie will face minor league pitching and then be re-evaluated. He could go to an extended spring or minor-league assignment after Lowell. Francona said that "We're trying to get him a ramp to the games." The Manager went on to say "if anything, probably a little quicker" in recovery than expected.
- On the Shortstop situation: "I just want to get Lowrie back...when we get him healthy, I'll be really happy"
- John Smoltz: Francona will talk with him after his start tonight to determine the next step. Francona said "We're not going to make next Wednesday, Thursday, Friday's pitcher (out in advance)."
- On Managing the starting rotation: "We've had a lot of discussions...we're not ready to make an announcement before we're supposed to."
Jed Lowrie had the following to say before the game on Thursday night:
- "Once I get (to a rehab assignment), hopefully a couple weeks (until back in majors)."
- "I think I'm right on schedule. I'm happy where I'm at."
- "(The wrist) is not where it needs to be, but it's almost there."