Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge joined The Big Show for an in-studio appearance and touched on a number of subjects, but the biggest issue by far is the future of Kevin Garnett, who can be a free agent on July 1. Ainge said he talked to Garnett last week and that KG needs more time to make a decision and it may not be made by July 1 when teams can begin talking to free agents.
"I think we’ll talk within the next week, but I'm not so sure that’s a decision day for him," Ainge said. "He may want to wait and see what sort of team we have. I'm not sure. I know that he wants to come back, I know he likes Boston and I know he loves playing for Doc [Rivers]. He loves everything about the team and the city and so forth. I think that his decision will be, 'Do I really want to play? Or do I not want to play.' "
Asked if Garnett might sign with another team, Ainge said: "I don’t think that’s what he wants to do, but it is a possibility, sure. I didn’t get that feeling, but he definitely has that option. Who knows what happens over the course of time? I hope that he wants to come back. That’s sort of been the indication that, if he’s going to play, that he would like to come back to Boston. That’s where we are right now."
Ainge also said that it was unlikely that he would renounce all his free agents to clear cap space.