Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli and president Cam Neely weighed in Monday on the likelihood that Tim Thomas will not play next season. The veteran goalie posted on Facebook Sunday that he will spend the next year focusing on "friends, family and faith."
"I read what he said on Facebook, and it was pretty much -- not verbatim -- but it was pretty much what he told me," Chiarelli said to John Bishop of BostonBruins.com. "No update beyond what I said last week. So going forward, we're going to operate on the assumption that he will not be playing this year."
Chiarelli also reiterated his confidence in Tuukka Rask taking over as the starter and added that Anton Khudobin is capable of being the No. 2. Neely agreed.
Said Neely: "It certainly puts us in a situation we probably didn't think we would be [in] when the season ended. Having said that, we've got to prepare for Tim not playing for us, and we'll move ahead with that. Tuukka's played well for us in the past. I think Anton's a guy who we were hoping to see a little bit more of to spell Tim last year, but it didn't happen that way. He played well in Providence for us. He's played well in the NHL games he has played, but not many. We'll see how it goes."
"The way we play defensively I think helps our goaltender. Tuukka's proven that he can play in this league."
For more on the Bruins, visit weei.com/bruins .