TORONTO -- After the Red Sox' 3-1 loss to the Blue Jays Wednesday afternoon at Rogers Centre, dropping the Sox' to 1-5, the players in the visitors' clubhouse talked about opening at Fenway Park on a down-note for a second straight season.
"I think everybody is anxious to go home," said Red Sox DH David Ortiz. "We haven't been home in a while. I guess it's like a reset for everybody. Hopefully we start playing better when we go home."
The Sox' starting pitcher Wednesday, Jon Lester, took no solace in his second straight solid performance (8 innings, 3 runs), suggesting the team simply needs to move on.
"What do you want me to talk about? We're 1-5. We're not playing good right now," the pitcher said. "The games we pitch well, we don't hit. The games we don't pitch well, we hit. We just haven't put it together right now. Nobody in this clubhouse wants to start slow regardless of years past. Like we said last year, it sucks to hear, but it's a long season. We're going to show up o Friday and keep grinding it out.
"Obviously it's not the way we wanted to start. Nobody wants to start this way. We're all going to show up Friday, we're all going to strap it on, we're all going to keep grinding it out. That's all we can control -- having good, quality at-bats, having a quality plan on the mound. The rest of it will hopefully take care of itself."
The Red Sox have allowed the same number of runs as they did after the first six games last year (38), while having totaled six more runs (22), 14 more hits (49). They also have left six more runners on base (44).
Adrian Gonzalez said the feeling between this start, and the 0-6 mark the Red Sox took into Opening Day at Fenway last year, does have a different vibe.
"It's just as frustrating," the first baseman said. "We'll get out of it. But it is frustrating now. It's a whole different season. It's a different team. It does feel different."
For more Red Sox news, go to the team page at weei.com/redsox .