Josh Beckett said via text message that he expects to make his April 7 start against the Tigers, writing when asked if it was fair to say he would making his start in Detroit despite a reported thumb injury, "As far as I know." He also reported the thumb was "fine."
Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine also downplayed the injury when meeting with the media Monday morning, reporting that the starter threw 100 pitches in the bullpen Sunday and saying he "totally" expects Beckett to make the Saturday start.
"He's had a little situation that he's taking care of today, just for peace of mind," Valentine told reporters. "He's having someone look at it, just for peace of mind. ... It seemed like everything was fine."
Earlier Monday morning, pitcher Alfredo Aceves told the media he had been asked to be ready to start the second game of the regular season if Beckett wasn't ready. A team spokesperson confirmed that Beckett was slated to have his thumb checked out in San Antonio before heading to Detroit.