Yet another round of negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement fell apart on Friday over the revenue split. No further talks are scheduled, and the NBA announced that it will cancel games through Nov. 30. However, The New York Times reported earlier in the week  that if and when the NBA returns to the court, the league will create a new schedule.
The real takeaway from NBA commissioner David Stern's press conference was that there would not be a full 82-game season.
"It is not practical, possible prudent to have a full season now," Stern said. "There will not be a full season under any circumstances."
Stern added that the league's offer to the players will get worse, reflecting the loss of revenue from games.
The players are said to be at 52 percent of the BRI while the owners are at 50 percent.
"They got to the place again that was 50-50 take it or leave it," union president Derek Fisher said. "And we'll leave it again like we left it last week."
In addition to the BRI split, system issues again remain unresolved, although it does seem that progress has been made on several fronts. Cap exceptions associated with a revamped luxury tax appear to be the main point of contention.
"Today wasn't the day to try and close this out," Fisher said.
For more NBA and Celtics news, visit the team page at weei.com/celtics .