A major league source told WEEI.com's Alex Speier that the Red Sox called to show interest in acquiring Mets left-handed pitcher Chris Capuano last week, and then again earlier this week. No deal was to be made, however, with the Mets not showing interest in the Sox' offer of only cash in the transaction.
The Boston Herald cited a source  earlier stating the Sox had made inquiries about the 33-year-old Capuano, who is on a one-year contract with the Mets worth $1.5 million.
If acquired, Capuano, who is 11-12 with a 4.47 ERA this season, would not be eligible for the postseason roster.
The Springfield native has pitched well of late, allowing two runs in each of his last two starts, having gone seven and five innings, respectively. Red Sox manager Terry Francona would not commit to a starter for Sunday when asked prior to Wednesday's game, only ruling out Erik Bedard for the outing.
A major league source told WEEI.com Wednesday night that any Red Sox trade prior to the end of the regular season was "unlikely."
For more Red Sox news, go to the team page at weei.com/redsox .