Marco Scutaro returned from a stint in Miami where he worked to rehab his strained left oblique muscle, getting a check-up Monday afternoon from Red Sox team physician Dr. Thomas Gill. According to the shortstop, he was much improved from when the Sox placed him on the 15-day disabled list May 8.
"I don’t feel anything just when I move, only when I sneeze," noted Scutaro. "But I didn’t do anything for all last week, so from today on, I’m going to start doing activities, and we’ll go from there."
Scutaro, who was instructed to not participate in any baseball activities for seven days, said he planned on taking swings prior to the Red Sox' series-opening game against the Orioles.
The shortstop said the injury was no longer sore to the touch, and was optimistic that he had avoided a long-term hiatus.
“Yeah, I do, I am," said Scutaro regarding if he was confident the injury wasn't going to be something that lingered for a while. "On the other hand, I’ve never had this injury before, and they told me to be real careful with that because you think you’re good and then all of a sudden you just do a swing and you’re hurt again. It’s just like a hamstring or something like that. That’s what they told me, so that’s why I didn’t want to play through stuff like that. They said if you really mess it up, it’s going to be like two months. It’s still early, so let’s be a little smart."
Scutaro is hitting .235 in 23 games this season, totaling a .316 on-base percentage with one error.
For more Red Sox coverage, see the team page at weei.com/redsox .