Mut, Bradford, and Tomase are talking about Dan Shaughnessy's column about how he would no longer vote for Curt Schilling for the Hall of Fame. They then talk with Curt Schilling getting his thoughts on the whole situation and whether he would rather make the HoF or the Senate.

It was trending this way for the last month, but now it looks like there will be some certainty very soon.

Edwin Encarnacion

Edwin Encarnacion

It was trending this way for the last month, but now it looks like there will be some certainty very soon.

According to a major league source, the Red Sox are “probably” not going to be a finalist for the services of free agent first baseman/designated hitter Edwin Encarnacion.

Encarnacion’s agent, Paul Kinzer, told TSN Tuesday afternoon that his client would most likely sign a contract either later this week, or early next week. He went on to add that two clubs have extended serious offers to the 33-year-old, not disclosing what teams they were.

Kinzer did add that the Blue Jays, who along with the Yankees and Astros may be considered the favorites for Encarnancion’s services, are perhaps the most aggressive. It was reported that slugger turned down an offer from Toronto in the vicinity of four years, $80 million.

“The Jays are showing Edwin the most love,” Kinzer told Rick Westhead of TSN. “We’re talking. They want him back. (GM) Ross (Atkins) has been talking to Edwin. They have a great relationship.”

The Red Sox have been consistent in their approach throughout the offseason, insisting their preference in signing a replacement for David Ortiz would be via a short-term deal. One option they remain interested in is Carlos Beltran.

As is the case with other clubs, the Red Sox are also waiting for the new Competitive Balance Tax threshold to be identified in the revamped Collective Bargaining Agreement. The current CBA expires Thursday at 12:01 a.m.

Blog Author: 
Rob Bradford

The honors and accolades keep rolling in for Rick Porcello.

The Red Sox right-hander, who earlier this month claimed the American League Cy Young Award, on Tuesday added Comeback Player of the Year to his resume.

Rick Porcello

Rick Porcello

The honors and accolades keep rolling in for Rick Porcello.

The Red Sox right-hander, who earlier this month claimed the American League Cy Young Award, on Tuesday added Comeback Player of the Year to his resume.

Porcello finished first in balloting among the 30 beat reporters from MLB.com. He was joined by National League winner Anthony Rendon of the Nationals.

Porcello, 27, went 22-4 with a 3.15 ERA and nipped former teammate Justin Verlander of the Tigers in the Cy Young voting. His 22 victories led the big leagues and were the most by a Red Sox pitcher since Pedro Martinez won 23 in 1999.

Porcello’s numbers were a far cry from 2015, when he debuted with the Red Sox by going 9-15 with a 4.92 ERA.

Porcello is the first Red Sox player to win the award since outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury claimed it in 2011.

Blog Author: 
John Tomase

Few might have taken notice, but Ryan LaMarre took advantage of his time in the Red Sox organization.

Ryan LaMarre

Ryan LaMarre

Few might have taken notice, but Ryan LaMarre took advantage of his time in the Red Sox organization.

The 28-year-old outfielder, who played in six games for the Red Sox in 2016, has signed a one-year, major-league deal with the Angels.
LaMarre, who inked a minor-league contract with the Red Sox prior to last season, had a very solid year for Triple-A Pawtucket. Known primarily as a defensive whiz in the outfield, the righty hitter hit .303 with an .814 OPS with the PawSox, hitting 10 home runs and stealing 17 bases.

A former second-round pick of the Reds in the 2010 draft, LaMarre previously had only seen 21 games in the major leagues, having been called up during the 2015 season by Cincinnati.

LaMarre’s path to the major leagues has also included the decision not to pursue a professional hockey career, which appeared to be an option prior to his enrolling at the University of Michigan. (Click here to read more on LaMarre’s hockey career.)

Blog Author: 
Rob Bradford

Rusney Castillo evidently sees the importance of the upcoming season.

Rusney Castillo

Rusney Castillo

Rusney Castillo evidently sees the importance of the upcoming season.

According to a source familiar with the situation, the 29-year-old is slated start playing in the Puerto Rican Winter League starting Dec. 8, with the plan to participate until the completion of the schedule in early January.

Castillo has spent some time playing for Caguas in Puerto Rico in each of the past two offseasons, but never played for this length of time.

The outfielder is hoping to reverse the trend of a major league career that continues to flounder, with four years, $46 million still left on his contract. Castillo’s stay with the Red Sox hit a low point last season when the organization took him off the 40-man roster.

In 103 games for Triple-A Pawtucket last season, Castillo hit .263 with a .664 OPS, two home runs and nine stolen bases. Despite making the Opening Day roster, he only played in nine games for the Red Sox, going 2-for-8.

Castillo did show some signs of life once moved to the leadoff spot with the PawSox, hitting .287 with a .725 OPS. He also managed a .351 batting average and an .897 OPS in August.

Playing in parts of three seasons since signing his seven-year, $72.5 million contract, Castillo has hit .262 with a .679 OPS in 99 games, striking out 63 times and drawing just 16 walks.

Note: There is a poll embedded within this post, please visit the site to participate in this post's poll.
Blog Author: 
Rob Bradford

Mike Lowell made no bones about it 10 years ago when his words regarding Cuban dictator Fidel Castro were splashed across the front page of the Boston Herald: ‘I hope he dies’.