Speaking before the Boston Baseball Writers dinner, David Ortiz said, at this moment, he doesn't expect a deal to get done prior to an arbitration hearing.
"I don't know," said the DH when asked if he expected an agreement to be reached before a hearing. "It doesn't seem like it right now."
Ortiz submitted a figure of $16.5 million for his arbitration case Tuesday, while the Red Sox came in at $12.65 million. According to a source, the slugger had previously been offered a two-year deal by the Sox, at $9 million season.