Still dreaming of David Ortiz rejoining the Red Sox? Perhaps this will make you feel better — Pedro Martinez believes it’s going to happen.

Pedro Martinez

Pedro Martinez

Still dreaming of David Ortiz rejoining the Red Sox? Perhaps this will make you feel better — Pedro Martinez believes it’s going to happen.

Speaking on the Trenni & Tomase program on Saturday from Foxwoods, where the Red Sox were holding their Winter Weekend, Martinez made it clear that he’s 100 percent skeptical of Ortiz’s decision to retire, and believes it’s only a matter of time before he laces up his cleats again.

“David says he’s retired,” Martinez said. “But I still believe David is going to give it another try. I don’t know why I have that feeling that David might want to do that. I just don’t see David, having the type of season that he had, and having the success that he was still having, sitting at home wasting it. David is too smart. I still believe David is going to feel the little itch of coming back to spring training.”

What gives Martinez such confidence in this bold prediction, which flies in the face of literally everything Ortiz has said since announcing his retirement before last season?

“Because imagine, I’m one of his closest friends,” Martinez said. “And I’m going to have to come to spring training, so he’s going to be left in the Dominican alone. I know that he needs some time off. If he stays at home with his wife, his kids, it’s going to get boring sooner or later, and I believe he’s going to come over.

“I think the toughest thing is going to be when he finds himself with so much time, and not having a regimen to follow,” Martinez added. “That’s going to be really difficult for David, a man that’s used to swinging the bat 500 times a day, mingling with his friends and teammates and all that. It’s just going to be difficult.”

Martinez knows how hard it is to walk away. He retired after pitching in the 2009 World Series for the Phillies and was a first-ballot Hall of Famer five years later.

“[Ortiz] always laughs when I tell him that comfy is not that simple,” Martinez said. “To just sit at home and see every other player, every other friend you have go away, and then you’re sitting at home and not having something to do, it’s really difficult to deal with.”

So what Martinez is saying is there’s a chance, then? He’s not closing the door on Big Papi pulling on No. 34 again?

“No. No, I’m not,” he said. “And I won’t. Until the year goes by, I won’t.”

Blog Author: 
John Tomase

MASHANTUCKET, Conn. — David Price has been the topic of conversation in Boston over the last week, and it has little to do with his pitching.

David Price. (NIck Churiaro/USA Today Sports)

David Price. (NIck Churiaro/USA Today Sports)

MASHANTUCKET, Conn. — David Price has been the topic of conversation in Boston over the last week, and it has little to do with his pitching. The buzz around the Red Sox’ pitcher has solely been due to comments he made to the Boston Globe recently about hearing racist comments thrown his way while in the Fenway Park bullpen.

Appearing on the Trenni & Tomase Show from the Red Sox’ Winter Weekend at Foxwoods Saturday, Price elaborated on the topic.

“I was raised to not see anybody different than myself, stuff like that. For me, it’s different. I think it got taken a little bit out of context, the way that I said it. I enjoy being in Boston,” Price said. “As tough as it was, I can only imagine having the year that Porc had, seeing the support that he poured into on a day to day basis. For me, that’s what it’s all about. I understood it was a very tough place to pitch and to play. I welcome that. That’s something that I want. That’s not to prove anybody wrong. I want to prove myself right. I know I’m capable of doing this. We have the zero-tolerance in the dugout, and out in the bullpen. All the guys reached out to me. Sam Kennedy, Dave and Kevin, all of them. It was something we talked about. It stinks that it happens, but I’ve heard it my entire life. It’s something that I heard. It’s not something that bothers me. I’m not going to let their ignorance slow me down or be an obstacle in my way. That’s just the way that I’ve been raised. I’m immune to it.”

When asked if he did, indeed, experience the kind of derogatory verbiage mentioned, Price said, “It can be a tough place to play. I’ve experienced it on the other side, sitting in the third base dugout. They love this team. I like that. I really do like that. People can have a little bit too much fun sometimes, whether it’s having too much to drink or whatever it is. To me, I don’t worry about it. I’m having my child in Boston. I’m going to raise him for however long I’m in Boston. That’s where he’s going to be. I love the city of Boston. I like the people here. Everything. I don’t think it speaks for the entire city.”

Price did say, however, the talk didn’t have an effect on him at the time he experienced it.

“I don’t really think I had a reaction to it,” he noted. “It’s not something I think about. I heard it all at a very young age. Kids say a lot of silly stuff to other kids. I’ve heard it. I don’t think it’s going to happen anymore. I plan on dominating for the next six years and it’s only going to be positivity coming out of everybody’s mouths.”

TO LISTEN TO THE ENTIRE DAVID PRICE INTERVIEW, CLICK HERE

Blog Author: 
Rob Bradford

MASHANTUCKET, Conn. — Whatever David Price heard in Fenway Park last season, owners John Henry and Tom Werner insist they’ll do everything in their power to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

Tom Werner

Tom Werner

MASHANTUCKET, Conn. — Whatever David Price heard in Fenway Park last season, owners John Henry and Tom Werner insist they’ll do everything in their power to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

Price told the Boston Globe last week that he heard racist taunts at Fenway last year, though he didn’t make it sound like a common occurrence. Speaking at Foxwoods before the team kicked off its Winter Weekend on Friday night, the owners expressed their dismay.

“I heard about this,” Werner said. “We haven’t talked to David, but we have a zero-tolerance policy for that kind of behavior. If we hear that somebody is taunting somebody, then he’ll be ejected from Fenway Park. As somebody who feels very strongly about this, there’s no grey area here. If this was happening with David, and I know he modified his remarks afterward and said this was something that happened to him as well previously, but there’s no behavior like that that will be tolerated.”

The owners also touched on a couple of other topics.

— On the belief that trading prospects has created a three-year window:

“I don’t think that has changed a lot since we first arrived,” Henry said. “This should be a very strong team for the next three years. There’s no way we could’ve signed every young player we have. We have so many. I think we’re good for the next three years. Beyond that, we have a terrific general manager and terrific resources, thanks to our fans. You have to feel good about this club.”

— On bringing David Ortiz out of retirement, which isn’t happening:

“He has not indicated that that’s of interest to him,” Werner said. “He knows that we’d love to figure out some way for him to be an important part of the organization going forward. We’re going to be seeing him next week [in the Dominican Republic] and beyond that, I think he’s having a good time in his offseason. I think he’s learning how to play tennis.”

— On signing Mookie Betts and/or Xander Bogaerts to contract extensions:

“It is important, but it takes two,” Henry said. “We’ll do everything we can.”

Blog Author: 
John Tomase

In case you weren’t aware, David Ortiz has retired.

David Ortiz. (WEEI.com)

David Ortiz. (WEEI.com)

In case you weren’t aware, David Ortiz has retired.

The designated hitter has really bad heels/feet/lower legs, as was described by the man, Dan Dyrek, who helped keep him together for that final season.

But still, we have to execute a seemingly weekly exercise of wondering if Ortiz will magically reappear for 2017.

Well, he’s not. And the past two days, we were allowed a pair of reminders that nothing has changed.

First, prior to the Boston Baseball Writers’ Dinner Thursday night, Red Sox manager John Farrell did his best to punctuate the conversation.

“Oh yeah, he’s retired,” Farrell said. “There’s no fake tweets. No blank tweets. Whatever those might be, I don’t know. Yeah, we’re not waiting for David to walk through the door.​”

And then Ortiz offered what might be construed as a hint that he is still trying to remain in playing shape, a video of him working out. But if you turn on the audio, he can be heard saying, “I’m not a player anymore.” So there you go.

Papi have to keep it real<img src=" class="wp-smiley" style="height: 1em; max-height: 1em;" />" class="wp-smiley" style="height: 1em; max-height: 1em;" /><img src=" class="wp-smiley" style="height: 1em; max-height: 1em;" />" class="wp-smiley" style="height: 1em; max-height: 1em;" /><img src=" class="wp-smiley" style="height: 1em; max-height: 1em;" />" class="wp-smiley" style="height: 1em; max-height: 1em;" /><img src=" class="wp-smiley" style="height: 1em; max-height: 1em;" />" class="wp-smiley" style="height: 1em; max-height: 1em;" /><img src=" class="wp-smiley" style="height: 1em; max-height: 1em;" />" class="wp-smiley" style="height: 1em; max-height: 1em;" /><img src=" class="wp-smiley" style="height: 1em; max-height: 1em;" />" class="wp-smiley" style="height: 1em; max-height: 1em;" />

A video posted by David Ortiz (@davidortiz) on

Blog Author: 
Rob Bradford

Prior to the Boston Baseball Writers’ Dinner Thursday night, Red Sox manager John Farrell rattled off which of his players he believed would be participating in the World Baseball Classic.

Starting pitchers David Price, Rick Porcello and Chris Sale? Nope.

Pablo Sandoval. (Kim Klement/USA Today Sports)

Pablo Sandoval. (Kim Klement/USA Today Sports)

Prior to the Boston Baseball Writers’ Dinner Thursday night, Red Sox manager John Farrell rattled off which of his players he believed would be participating in the World Baseball Classic.

Starting pitchers David Price, Rick Porcello and Chris Sale? Nope.

Eduardo Rodriguez? We’ll see. The lefty was slated to get his right knee checked in Boston this week, with a decision being made after the diagnosis.

Closer Craig Kimbrel remains a maybe, with Sandy Leon, Jackie Bradley Jr. and Mookie Betts all choosing not to play.

Definitely playing will be Xander Bogaerts and Hanley Ramirez.

All of the decisions really didn’t come with any surprises. But then there was one: Pablo Sandoval.

According to Farrell, the third baseman is considering playing for his native Venezuela in the upcoming WBC. Considering Sandoval is coming off a serious shoulder injury, and he has to still compete for the starting job at third, such a scenario wasn’t really on anyone’s radar.

“I think that’ll probably garner more discussion because those three weeks, the potential of those three weeks in a situation where you’re competing for a job is important,” Farrell said. “We don’t want to stand in a player’s way if there’s not a pending health situation. Granted he went through a shoulder surgery last May. Still, that would be in discussion if that were to come up.”

Farrell confirmed that despite the optimism surrounding Sandoval, thanks in large part to the wave of Instagram posts has offered throughout the offseason, he will still have to prove his worth heading into 2017.

“Compliments to Pablo, he’s done a great job with the work he’s put in, the commitment he’s made,” Farrell said. “He’s reshaped himself, that’s apparent. He knows there is work to be done to regain an everyday job at third base. So, we’ll see how that unfolds. We’re not looking for him to be someone he’s not been in the past. Return to that level of performance. That’s the reason he was signed here. We’ve got a versatile team as well. In the event, we have to find what the best matchup is for us, whether that’s Brock Holt, Josh Rutledge — the beauty of last spring is that there’s a note of competition in camp. That was born out of third base last year and that won’t change.”

Sandoval did participate in the 2013 World Baseball Classic.

Blog Author: 
Rob Bradford