‘Tis the season for all manner of rumors! WEEI.com’s Alex Speier will take stock of the rumor mill, answering your questions in a Hot Stove chat on Wednesday at noon. Line up your questions now:

Live Blog Red Sox Hot Stove chat – Wednesday at noon
 

Blog Author: 
Alex Speier

With the Reds in the market for a corner outfielder and armed with a wealth of starting pitchers (Johnny Cueto, Mat Latos, Alfredo Simon and Mike Leake) who are one year from free agency, Cincinnati has been viewed as a natural potential partner for a Red Sox team with multiple vacancies to fill in its rotation and

With the Reds in the market for a corner outfielder and armed with a wealth of starting pitchers (Johnny Cueto, Mat Latos, Alfredo Simon and Mike Leake) who are one year from free agency, Cincinnati has been viewed as a natural potential partner for a Red Sox team with multiple vacancies to fill in its rotation and power-hitting corner outfielder Yoenis Cespedes as a player who can be moved. But according to the Cincinnati Enquirer, Reds GM Walt Jocketty said that his team has not talked to the Red Sox about Cespedes.

Cueto went 20-9 with a 2.25 ERA in 243 2/3 innings in 2014, finishing second to Clayton Kershaw in Cy Young balloting. Latos made just 16 starts in an injury-riddled campaign, going 5-5 with a 3.25 ERA while punching out 6.5 per nine innings and walking 2.3 per nine. Leake went 11-13 with a 3.70 ERA in 33 starts, while Simon, in his first full season as a starter, went 15-10 with a 3.44 ERA, 5.8 strikeouts and 2.6 walks per nine. Cespedes hit .260 with a .301 OBP, .450 slugging mark and 22 homers in 152 games for the Red Sox and A’s.

Blog Author: 
Alex Speier

On a day when the Red Sox announced that they had tendered contracts for the 2015 season to the 28 unsigned players on their 40-man roster, the team said that it had non-tendered corner infielder Juan Francisco, thus making him a free agent.

On a day when the Red Sox announced that they had tendered contracts for the 2015 season to the 28 unsigned players on their 40-man roster, the team said that it had non-tendered corner infielder Juan Francisco, thus making him a free agent. Francisco had been designated for assignment last week to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for Pablo Sandoval. By non-tendering Francisco, the Sox have the right to negotiate with him as a free agent. The 27-year-old — listed at a hulking 6-foot-2 and 245 pounds — smashed 16 homers while hitting .220/.291/.456 in 320 plate appearances for the Blue Jays last year, though he also struck out in more than one of every three plate appearances.

 

Blog Author: 
Alex Speier

Dale Scott, a major league umpire for 29 seasons, revealed he was gay and has been married to his partner of 28 years, in an interview with Outsports.com.

Umpire Dale Scott has revealed he's gay in a recent interview. (Rich Pilling/Getty Images)

Umpire Dale Scott has revealed he’s gay in a recent interview. (Rich Pilling/Getty Images)

Dale Scott, a major league umpire for 29 seasons, revealed he was gay and has been married to his partner of 28 years, in an interview with Outsports.com.

“I am extremely grateful that Major League Baseball has always judged me on my work and nothing else,” Scott said to Outsports.com. “And that’s the way it should be.”

Scott had been profiled in an October issue of Referee magazine, a subscription only magazine with a circulation of 45,000, and in the article was a picture of him and his partner on a flight to Austrailia for last year’s 2014 opener between the Diamondbacks and Dodgers that Scott had sent.

“Obviously, when I sent that picture (to the magazine), I knew exactly what it meant,” Scott said. “In a small way, this was opening that door in a publication that wasn’t going to be circulated nationwide. It could be picked up, but it’s not Time magazine. I made that decision to go ahead and do it because I felt it was the right thing to do. I realized that it could open a Pandora’s Box, but this is not a surprise to Major League Baseball, the people I work for. It’s not a surprise to the umpire staff.”

Scott has been an umpire for three World Series‘, as well as three All-Star games.

For Red Sox news, check out weei.com/redsox.

Blog Author: 
Ryan Hannable

Ten years after Pedro Martinez left the Red Sox as a free agent, the team is trying to sign Jon Lester off the open market. (Getty Images)History lesson. 



According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, the Cubs currently have the high bid in for free agent left-hander Jon Lester at six years and $138 million, while the

According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, the Cubs currently have the high bid in for free agent left-hander Jon Lester at six years and $138 million, while the Red Sox have “suggested at least a willingness to go to $130 million for six years.” Heyman suggests that the Braves made an offer of a lower figure than that for Lester to play close to his Georgia home. He also notes that right-hander Tim Hudson has been involved in the Giants‘ efforts to recruit Lester. Given the number of interested suitors, Heyman suggests that there is a possibility that Lester will end up with a deal in excess of $25 million a year for a total commitment of $150 million or more.

Blog Author: 
WEEI