Rajon Rondo knows the deal by now.
Every year around this time, the trade rumors start swirling around the Celtics point guard, and this season is no different.
“It’s a way of life since I’ve been here,” he said after Wednesday’s win over the Magic. “It’s just part of it.”
Yahoo Sports columnist Adrian Wojnarowski, as he so often does, peppered Twitter with a few freshly ground spices as Rondo wrapped up another near triple-double effort: The Mavericks “are serious suitors” for Rondo’s services.
In his postgame press conference, Rondo said he had not spoken to Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge about the latest round of rumors, and then proceeded to walk out of TD Garden just as Ainge, Celtics assistant general manager Mike Zarren and co-owner Stephen Pagliuca were exiting the building. It might’ve been awkward had it not been a way of life.
While the Celtics seem willing to part with Rondo for the right price, Rondo reiterated publicly his desire to stay in Boston.
“How many times do you want me to say it?” he asked. “We discussed it on media day. My thoughts and my opinions as far as the organization hasn’t changed, so … I’m enjoying life. You can’t win ‘em all, but these guys are funny, I’m young and I’m doing what I love to do. It’s a dream come true. I can’t be upset about anything, really.
“I just want to be a better person each year, be a better teammate each year, and I think I’m doing a pretty good job so far, just trying to lead these young guys. I’m not that old, but they make me feel like it.”
If something seems different about the rumors this time around, Rondo is remaining as poker-faced as ever.
“It is what it is now, and everything happens for a reason,” he said. “I believe in certain timing and things happening for a reason, so I’m 28 and I’m pretty much the veteran guy on this team and that’s part of it.”