13 Photography

Sam Kennedy tells OMF Red Sox haven't communicated with Yankees since sign-stealing accusations

Alex Reimer
September 14, 2017 - 1:26 pm

The bad blood appears to be boiling between the Red Sox and Yankees over last week’s sign-stealing accusations.

In an interview Thursday with OMF, Red Sox president and CEO Sam Kennedy said he hasn’t communicated with the Yankees since they publicly accused the Sox of using an Apple Watch to steal signs in their dugout. The Red Sox countered, saying the Yankees used cameras from their television network, YES, to swipe signs and signals.

At Fenway Park last week, commissioner Rob Manfred said he was looking into the claims. He also mentioned these kinds of issues are usually handled internally, which Kennedy stressed as well. 

“I’ll leave it at this, because commissioner Rob Manfred is doing a great job of looking into our complaint and their complaint and he will make his ruling when he deems appropriate. We said it when the accusations came out that we were disappointed it was not handled club-to-club or general manager-to-general manager,” Kennedy said.

There was a report out of New York that Yankees general manager Brian Cashman was rebuffed when he tried to speak with Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski. Kennedy pushed back against that, too. 

“My understanding is, these issues are dealt with GM-to-GM,” he said. “Unfortunately this was not dealt with that way, but I’m going to stop there and let the commissioner’s office do their thing.”

Sam Kennedy says fans who brought banner into Fenway will not be banned for life

Comments ()