Robert Deutsch-USA TODAY NETWORK

Mayor Marty Walsh says he would still support bringing Olympics to Boston

Alex Reimer
July 17, 2017 - 9:59 am

Mayor Marty Walsh doesn’t appear to regret backing Boston's failed Olympic bid. 

In an interview this month with Boston Magazine, Walsh said he would support the measure again. “I don’t think any of us were ready for how if you get awarded the bid, the press is just ready to jump. If something like that were to happen today, three years from now, we’d be better prepared for it,” he explained. “But at the end of the day, I don’t think we lost anything, and we actually came up with some ideas for how to develop Widett Circle and revitalizing Harambee Park that we’re looking at now. It was an interesting idea, and experience, and it didn’t cost us anything. At the end of the day, if nothing but Widett Circle comes out of it, that’s an economic boon down the road.”

Walsh positioned himself as an early cheerleader of Boston 2024, even signing a joinder agreement with the United States Olympic Committee, which originally seemed to bar city employees from criticizing the proposal. After significant pushback, Walsh signed a revised version of the document.

With public support for the Olympics dropping to 36 percent in summer 2015, Walsh announced that July he wasn’t ready to sign the host city contract, which would have put Boston taxpayers on the hook for cost overruns. The USOC withdrew the bid shortly after the Mayor's press conference, though it's unclear whether the governing body had already decided to pull the plug. 

Los Angeles has emerged as the U.S. favorite to land the Games in 2024, with President Donald Trump tweeting last week he’s “working hard” to get the Olympics to Southern California.

Comments ()